Admittedly, it was with great hesitation that I started Oprah’s current choice for her eponymous book club – the debut novel “BEHOLD THE DREAMERS” by Imbolo Mbue. After all, what’s an Oprah book choice without the 3D’s (despair, depression, and dysfunction) and I wasn’t quite sure I was looking for that at the end of those lazy days of summer. Much to my surprise, Mbue’s book proved one of the best book choices in Oprah’s 20 year ‘book club’ history. Sure it has the 3 D’s, yet layered in a beautifully written story about a young Cameroonian couple who believe they are on the fast track to living the American Dream, until the 2008 economic meltdown comes into play. A clash of cultures, religion, class systems, race, wealth, and dreams all come into play – making this a must-read book for everyone.
Looking for something to do tonight? Check out our game collection! We’ve got a variety of games from recent (Cards Against Humanity), to classic (Monopoly, Pictionary), to vintage (Mall Madness). You can browse the games we have online, or you can come take a look at our new display area on the first floor of the library!
Board games are available for a 3-day check out, and you can find them on the first floor of the library near the windows.
Happy start of the semester, everyone! We’re here for all of your questions, whether they’re library related or not. You can visit in-person, send us a text, or IM us from the library homepage whenever the library is open (check out our hours here). If you’re looking for information on accessing library resources, check out our new Research Help page.
Here are some other Bryant resources you might want to check out to get off to a great start this semester:
- ACE, or The Academic Center for Excellence, can help you with your homework or review before a test.
- Counseling Services is a great resource if you’re having a hard time settling in.
- The Writing Center can help you learn to write, edit, and cite your papers.
- Dining Services has a website with the hours for the dining options on campus, as well as the Salmo menu (at the bottom of the page)!
- The Bryant Bulldogs site has The Wellness Center hours and the schedule for group exercise classes this fall.
Let us know if you have any other questions, or just drop by and say hello!